Tryouts for 2014-15
The Shaker Youth Hockey Association (SYHA) will be holding tryouts for Pee Wee and Bantam levels for the 2014-15 season. The tryouts will be held at Thornton Park in Shaker Heights.
There will be three (3) tryout sessions at a cost of $45 per player for returning Shaker players and $70 per player for new players. The $25 additional cost for tryouts to new players will be credited toward your SYHA Fee. We reserve the right to schedule additional tryout sessions if necessary.
Online registration click here:
Checklist needed to tryout:
- Completed online registration, waiver and non-refundable tryout payment.
- Please bring light (White) and dark (Black) jerseys to each tryout session.
- $115 SYHA Fee (fka Pre-Registration) is due by May 18th to secure your spot on a team
We plan on having 2 Bantam teams and 3 or 4 Peewee teams. Please arrive at least 45 minutes before your first tryout.
Pee Wee 1: Rich Mears
Other Pee Wee Coaches: Matt Cole, Max Ortolani, Doug Slifko
Bantam 1: Max Ortolani
Bantam 2: Nate Siegel and Pat Chevallier
Tryout Dates and Times
Pee Wee (2002 and 2003)
Parents Meeting in Lobby Saturday, May 3rd at 5:30pm
Saturday, May 3rd 4:30-5:30pm (Last Name A-J)
Saturday, May 3rd 5:45-6:45pm (Last Name K-Z)
Sunday, May 4th 7:15-8:15am (Group 2)
Sunday, May 4th 8:30-9:30am (Group 1)
Sunday, May 11th 3:00-4:00pm (Group 2)
Sunday, May 11th 4:15-5:15pm (Group 1)
Bantam (2000 and 2001)
Parents Meeting in Lobby Saturday, May 3rd at 9:00am
Saturday, May 3rd 8:45-9:45am
Sunday, May 4th 6:30-7:45pm
Sunday, May 11th 5:30-6:45pm
* Our goal is to have teams selected and players notified by Wednesday, May 14th
* $115 SYHA Fee (fka Pre-Registration) is due by May 18th to secure your spot on a team
* Full Season Fee and Payment Schedules TBA
* Any questions please contact:
Max Ortolani firstname.lastname@example.org or
Richard Mears email@example.com
* Squirt and Mite Tryouts for Shaker will be held in August
March 10 - May 3 - Spring Hockey Clinics and Scrimmages
April 28 - May 2 - Off-Ice Conditioning Clinic
May 3-11 - PeeWee and Bantam Tryouts
May 22 - Annual Board Meeting (Election of New Board Members)
Mid-August - Mite and Squirt Tryouts
Ages 11-16. This off-ice training will utilize new technologies in sports performance aids and give all participants an opportunity to get into shape and get motivated to play hockey to the best of their ability and perform well in tryouts. Participants will work on strength, agility, power and speed. All of these aspects create the excelled athlete along with commitment, character, and discipline.
Location: Thornton Park Ice Rink
Date & Time: M - F, Apr 28 - May 2 | 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Fees: $150 SH RES / $170 NRES
Sign-up: At Thornton Park or http://www.shakeronline.com/city-services/recreation
Thank you to all the parents that volunteered and donated snacks and drinks to this year's Killer B Tournament. The tournament was a huge success. A special thanks goes out to Cindy Nace, who spent most of her weekend at Thornton making sure everything ran smoothly.
The tournament was a great success for Shaker teams. We won 3 of the 4 divisions.
PeeWee 3 defeated Cleveland Heights in the PeeWee Final
Mite White 1 defeated Geauga in the Mite ADM Red Final
Mite White 2 defeated North Olmsted in the Mite ADM White Final
Squirt 4 went 2-1-1 and missed out on the finals by goal differential.
A very successful weekend for all the teams involved and many compliments were given to our program for running a quality tournament.
Congrats to the Bantam 1 team on their 6-4 victory over CSC to complete the Regular Season and Playoff sweep of Bantam AA.
Congrats to the Bantam AA, PeeWee AA and Squirt AA teams on their division championships.
Regular Season games have been scheduled added to the website.
The 2/22 - 2/28 schedule has been added to the website.
Please create a username and password in the top left corner. Going forward there will be no more emails from the Google Groups.
There are two ways to access your team schedule.
1) Go to the team website under the Teams tab.
2) Go to the Calendar. The Calendar is driven by tags. Select Show Tags Menu. You can then select the teams that you want to see. Make sure you have Match Any selected in the top right corner. Then Select Hide Tags Menu.
Select All Tags will show you all events. Make sure that Home is unselected to see only the teams you want.
The Calendar Function is great your families with players on multiple teams.
There is also a SportsNgin App that allows you to access your team information.
From Rich Mears: As most of you have seen by now, the Shaker Youth Hockey Association has donated 2 Video Boards to the City of Shaker Heights and Thornton Park. I would like to thank current and former board members, Caleb Wyse and the City of Shaker Heights for all the hard effort that was put into get this accomplished.
These boards were paid for by generous donations from SHYA families and other friends of the program, including local businesses and extended families of our players. No City Funds were used to pay for the boards. Shaker has the best youth hockey program in Cleveland and a strong community and a great fund raising spirit are some of the main reasons for it. Our fund raisers include - the Skate-a-thon, the Killer B tournament and the annual Golf Outing. These donations along with the Pre-Registration fee ($105) allow the program to pay for tournaments, training tools (including OHA subsidy), goalie equipment and extra ice at Gilmour and Cleveland Heights.
The boards will be a great addition to the program, but come with some additional responsibilities. Please contact me if you can help in any of the following areas.
1) Graphic Design Skills - we need some creative parents to help with the design of the boards.
2) Advertising - we don't know how much to charge or who to contact, but we believe that the boards could draw some additional funds for the program
3) Content - please let use know if you would be interested in working on the upkeep of the boards. The schedule needs to be updated weekly and we can put additional Shaker Hockey pictures and videos up as available.
Once again thanks for your support of Shaker Hockey.
Rich Mears, President SYHA